mandag 15. juli 2013

Ich habe Sauerkraut in meine Lederhosen

I have acquired an extra family (potential in-laws) that love Germany.
And I have decided that if I am to go on vacations to Germany every year in my future (and bring my future kids?), I can't keep having my boyfriend translating the restaurant's menu for me every single time.

So I'm teaching myself German.
I'm not going all out, I just want to be able to read signs and menus and to understand what the lady behind the counter is asking me (other that if I want a bag, I know that one. Eine Tüte bitte).

I feel mighty clever.
Though the thing I thought would make things easy (that the language is so similar to Norwegian) is actually making it harder. I have to learn which words are just versions of the Norwegian ones and which is completely different. And I'm no good at choosing the correct article (das, der, die), but I'm getting there.

Soon I'll be able to tell you more than that I have pickled cabbage in my leather pants.

Look. A picture that shows how committed I am (the German word sticker) and my boyfriend's painting skills!
(I got it as my Valentine gift this year. It's originally a painting by Picasso that means a lot to my boyfriend. Isn't he clever? :) )


2 kommentarer:

  1. German is easy, just borrow a book you've read so many times you almost know it by heart (for me, that's Harry Potter) in german, it will be awkward at the beginning, but in the end you'll buzz through anything and their menus :D

    Also, proud of you!

    SvarSlett
  2. Wenn du willst, kann ich leihen dir Die Unendliche Geschichte in Deutsch. ^^,

    Reading practice makes perfect you knowxP

    SvarSlett